On 11/19/09 14:55 , "Tim Romano" <tim.rom...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The app was written in .NET against MS-Access; my Macintosh colleagues
> couldn't use it. They outnumbered the Windows users. But I didn't own a
> Mac and had never programmed on a Mac. But now Adobe Flex/AIR with
> SQLite is available, and it offers cross-platform deployment. So I've
> rewritten the app in Flex ActionScript using SQLite as the back-end.

Tim,

I have absolutely no opinion on flip(), neither for nor against. However, I
do have an opinion on using Adobe Flex or Microsoft Silverlight as
"cross-platform" tools to bring software to the Mac.

In one word: bad.

These tools will not let you easily write an app that feels native on the
Mac. Your colleagues might use it if forced to, exactly as they could use
your previous .net app using a virtual machine, but they are likely to drag
their feet.

Additionally, there are very serious efficiency/resource consumption issues
with the Mac version of Flash/Air on the Mac.

I don't think there is a satisfactory answer to cross platform development
of native GUI apps. The best you can do is possibly a web app. With such
tools as client-side databases, HTML 5 and Capuccino, you might end-up not
too far from a native look and feel.

Also modern Javascript JIT compilers will let your write your own fast
flip() function.

All this IMHO of course.

Jean-Denis