Hi  - I ran across a php script where the data file was created in /tmp, so I
tried that, and it works! I found some errors in my insert command,
basically they were differences in insert as opposed to reading a
tab-delimited file as I was doing in sqlite3. For example, two commas are
interpreted as a NULL when reading, but NULLs have to be explicitly entered
in the insert command. Also, strings have to be quoted. Anyway, I am now at
the stage where its just a matter of learning PHP, because all the system
stuff is working. This I can do. Thanks Simon, for your help on this.

Frank