"Igor Tandetnik" <itandet...@mvps.org> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:hgom0b$u0...@ger.gmane.org...
Sylvain Pointeau
<sylvain.point...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How does sqlite handle ICU, I don't understand?
> > is it used only for the sort order?

> No, the collation is used both for sorting and for equality check.
> However, ICU doesn't actually treat 'ä' as equal to 'ae'. You can see for
yourself here:

http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/locexp?_=de_DE&d_=en&x=col&collation=phonebook
Nice link, thanks...

> Try sorting
>
> ae
> áe

> You'll see they actually get sorted in that order.
>  'ä' and 'ae' can't possibly be considered equal when there
> exist strings that sort between them.

As I see it - one has different (fine-tuning) options for
ICU, which work "on top" of a choosen "base-setting".
If I set the first entry (all others remain at their defaults) to:
L1 = Base Letters

then ICU behaves IMO in the way the OP wants it to.
ae
áe
are treated the same then...

Not sure, if the current ICU-implementation in SQLite (as it is)
allows to set these advanced flags "from outside" per SQL ...

Olaf