On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:56:29AM +0000, Simon Slavin wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2009, at 4:55am, Sylvain Pointeau wrote:
> > How is [this?] supposed to work ICU in SQLite?
>
> I hope someone can answer your question.  I don't know enough.

I don't know about ICU but, really this is something that needs to be
handled where you have enough context to decide if a given equivalent
spelling rule actually applies.  You can only really do that at the
application layer, where you might know such things as the user's locale
(language, codeset, ...).  By the time SQL collations are involved it's
probably too late and you'll get equivalences that you might not have
intended.

Can you "normalize" any such strings at the application layer prior to
passing them to SQLite3?

Nico