When I was digging around trying to figure out why things wern't working
the way I thought they should I came across a function in the sqlite
code called getTempname.  In certain situations(i.e. the
temp_store_directory is not set), this function will get a tempname
based on an environment variable.

It seems as though there are different implementations of getTempname
depending on OS.

in one implenetation we have the following :

if( sqlite3_temp_directory ){
     zTempPath = sqlite3_temp_directory;
   }else{
     if( DosScanEnv( (PSZ)"TEMP", &zTempPath ) ){
       if( DosScanEnv( (PSZ)"TMP", &zTempPath ) ){
         if( DosScanEnv( (PSZ)"TMPDIR", &zTempPath ) ){

in the other we have :
azDirs[0] = sqlite3_temp_directory;
   if (NULL == azDirs[1]) {
     azDirs[1] = getenv("TMPDIR");
   }

So it seems as if TMPDIR will work in two different OSes.