>I will try to do something to that extent using timer and character
>counter.
>I hoped that I could update the text stored in the database character
>by character as fast as  they come from the keyboard driver.
>Unfortunately updates noticeably slow down the display of typed
>characters.

You can probably use a memory database to store on the fly data with
low overhead (the update time being very short) and simply update your
main disk-based base from time to time.

If your application can't afford loosing key hit, even in the event of
power loss, you can still have a regular OS flat file to record them,
in parallel or not with your memory base.  But you may still loose some
at power loss...  (What the heck?)

As the saying goes: at least with 360 systems, memory was memory.