On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Roger Binns <rog...@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

> Hamish Allan wrote:
>
>> Whether it's
>> storage-backed or not, won't attempting to create it a second time
>> always give a "table already exists" error?
>
> Yes.  But so what?  Your code is already specific to SQLite - ignore the
> error!

Sure; I've already worked around the problem. But why make it a
problem? I'm sure there are ways you could work around the absence of
"IF NOT EXISTS" in the simple "CREATE TABLE" case too. So why have the
clause there? Because it's clearly useful for the SQL programmer to be
able to specify that they just want a table to exist, rather than
specifically to be created.

>> Also, what is the recommended way to build sqlite3 if you want to make
>> changes to parse.y, given that using the complete source tree tarball
>> is heavily recommended against (in favour of the amalgamation, which
>> only contains the generated code)?
>
> The amalgamation is effectively 60 or so source files all concatenated
> together.  If you want to change parse.y then you have to use the source
> tarball since various tools like Lemon need to be built and run.  If you do
> not want to do this as a one off then you are better off doing a checkout
> from the source control system (Fossil) and having the changes on top of the
> trunk.

I don't particularly want the latest changes; I just want to use the
latest stable release. But if I were to build from the trunk, how
would I do so? The download page clearly states that "The Makefile and
configure script in this tarball are not supported. Their use is not
recommended. The SQLite developers do not use them. You should not use
them either." Presumably, though, the Makefile and configure scripts
in the tarball are just a snapshot of the Makefile and configure
scripts in the trunk at the time of release. So what should we use to
build the trunk?

Thanks,
Hamish