Chimerian,
I compiled and tested the tutorial example (which you
pointed out) with VC++ on XP Pro. Example is fine, except with the problem of
not checking for NULL pointer, which I fixed for you.
DB is created and values are stored and retrieved.  No problem with SQLite or
STL.

I do not have Borland C++ Builder  6, but I assume it has debugger and you can
put a break point to
see where char *ptr points.
You can also instead of using sqlite3.dll compile sqlite3.c
source code and step through the qlite3_column_text(statement, col) function
to see how it goes.

I strongly suggest to test this example “AS IS” without any
Borland GUI interference. Just pure C++ and STL. (There is always a remote
possibility for memory overrun or bad linking job).
So try the example alone without the pollution first.
Good luck.