Yes.  At times I get so wound up in the details of various parts of the code
that I miss the obvious of setting the stmt pointer to null before using it.
Thank you to Jay for reminding me of this.

Your collective replies, answers and advice are very much appreciated, however
the "how stupid are you" attitude of some of the posts are really quite
ridiculous.  Splitting hairs about my phrasing lacking the specifics of the
levels of indirection to the statement doesn't change the fundamentals of the
question, which was basically "how do I know if the stmt is initalized".  Again
thank you Jay for getting me out of the details so that the obvious became
clear again.

I'll try to be more clear in future questions.