Roger Binns a écrit :

> On 06/05/2010 04:21 AM, noel frankinet wrote:
>
>> But in fact sqlite runs perfectly fine on windows2000
>>

> Exactly as my second paragraph says.  But in the Windows 2000 time frame
> applications used to install their own copies of msvcrt.dll in the system
> directories which means one broken application is all it takes to screw that
> up.
>
> But when the operating system vendor no longer supports a platform it is
> increasingly pointless for a software person to continue support.  At some
> point you have to call it quits.  (For example see who still supports
> Windows 95, MacOS 7 or Redhat Linux 3.)

I see windows 2000 as the finest os that redmont has produced. You'd
better not develop on the latest ms os if you want to have some
installed base.

>> and is compilable
>> with any free compiler (mingw for instance)
>>

> You are mixing multiple things up.  There are two different issues: source
> compatibility and binary compatibility.  SQLite does compile with pretty
> much any C compiler out there (source compatibility).
>
> Binary compatibility is a bit more tricky.  The compiler links SQLite
> against system libraries that provide underlying functionality such as file
> access, memory allocation etc.  What happens is compiler and platform
> specific.  In general the resulting SQLite works with that version of the
> operating system and any version going forward but not older ones.  In the
> case of Microsoft, they have been distributing the C libraries with the
> compilers not the operating system and been numbering the C library as part
> of the file name.  Additionally various data structures (eg stdio) have
> changed between library versions and having multiple versions of the C
> library used in the same process is a recipe for problems.  Applications
> should be putting the C libraries in their own directories and not system
> locations.  msvcrt.dll (with no numbers) is a special case and is in system
> directories and in theory is for the use of operating system applications
> only.  Because of that pervasiveness MinGW targets it as the C library.  In
> fact they claim to support no other version, although their compiled DLLs do
> work with other versions in my experience.

I did not know that mingw was using msvcrt.dll. But anyway, its there,
in system directory, so it should run fine.
> BTW I believe the distributed SQLite Windows DLL is actually produced by a
> gcc cross compiler on Linux, which you could label MinGW as well.

Yes I think so too.

Best regards
Noël