Roger Binns a écrit :

> On 06/05/2010 08:20 AM, noel frankinet wrote:
>
>>> I see windows 2000 as the finest os that redmont has produced. You'd
>>> better not develop on the latest ms os if you want to have some
>>> installed base.
>>>

> Your opinion is fine, but someone has to bear the burden of supporting
> increasingly outdated operating systems.  For example I have a Mac running
> OSX 10.3.  The open source software I use (eg Firefox and Emacs) do not run
> on it anymore because they were not willing to bear that burden.  And pretty
> much no one supports Windows 98 these days for the same reason.

Yes, but its a pity(windows 98 is another problem).
I still use windows 2000 as my base point. I test on xp after that (but
I progress, before it was watcom c++ and dos extender).

>>> I did not know that mingw was using msvcrt.dll. But anyway, its there,
>>> in system directory, so it should run fine.
>>>

> The thing you missed is that there is no one msvcrt.dll.  There was one
> version shipped with the operating system, then updated versions with new
> functionality and bug fixes shipped with Microsoft compilers, service packs
> and other updates.  On install applications were placing whatever versions
> they wanted into the system directory and not necessarily doing that right.
>  This is why it is possible for SQLite3.dll to work just fine on one system
> but not another.

Yes I understand that.
> With XP the dll became a protected system file and Windows went to great
> lengths to ensure that any installer futzing with it would have the actions
> reversed.  Microsoft also started numbering the dll shipped with the C
> compiler, and said applications should install the dll in their program
> directory (which is searched first before system directories).  They also
> introduced sxs where the system managed multiple versions of dlls and that
> whole mess.

Yes I've seen that, and also exe that don't run because of double
dependency
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly
>
> Consequently XP and later systems are far less likely to have problems with
> incorrect msvcrt.dll.

My experience is the reverse, but luck maybe.
Anyway thank you for your info, I wish you would have been there when I
was pulling my hair with side by side assembly issue

Noël