On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 04:07:53PM -0400, Eric Smith scratched on the wall:
> Jay A. Kreibich wrote:
>
> > > I'd really love to avoid writing a big journal file.  And I'd love to
> > > avoid doing a billion-row insert in one transaction.
> >
> >   So turn journaling off.
>
> ... which implies possible corruption on app failure, right?

  Yes.  Hence the "and this is the important part" comment.  Most of
  the time when people are building billion-row files, they're building
  a new DB by importing a static source of data.  If things go wrong,
  you just throw out the database and try again.

  If that's not your situation, then turning journaling off may not be
  an option.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson