Roger Binns <rog...@rogerbinns.com> writes:
> On 07/31/2010 07:28 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Possible use case: I want to send someone an SQLite database with my
>> data, so that he can debug an application that's using the database
>> (since it's having problems with the particular set of data that I'm
>> using it with). However, I don't want him to be able to actually read
>> the data.
>
> What part of the database is causing the problems?  Obviously if it is the
> data itself, then that pretty much requires the original data.  For
> performance issues you need the data to be representative, and also any
> relations need to be maintained.

In the case that I had just now, there is a database with file system
metadata (file and directory names, attributes, tree structure).
Something is wrong with the metadata, so I want to run the equivalent of
an fsck on the database.

However, the user that has the problem would rather not send me a
database complete list of the fields that he has stored. Since in this
case the file names are just opaque labels without any relations or
structure, hashing them all was a pretty good solution. Since I had to
write an extra program for this simple operation, I was wondering why
there isn't a hash function build into SQLite.

> On the other hand if you just want various actual
> encryption/obfuscation/hash functions then SQLite provides easy ways of
> adding those yourself.

You mean with sqlite_create_function()?

Best,

   -Nikolaus