From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org on behalf of Jay A. Kreibich
Sent: Mon 8/2/2010 10:15 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: EXTERNAL:Re: [sqlite] crypt() as SQL core function

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 03:58:19AM +0100, Simon Slavin scratched on the wall:

> But frankly I'm not even sure that abs(), round() and soundex() should
> be in SQLite.  I wonder how they ever made it in.

  The SQL standard defines several functions.  I'm fairly sure these
  three are not part of the core list, but they've been available on
  nearly every database engine for as long as we've had relational
  database systems.  They might as well be part of the standard.

  Given that traditional, large-scale databases often deal with money,
  it isn't a surprise that abs() and round() have become standard.
  The SQL round() function has some pretty specific behaviors,
  especially when dealing with a second parameter.  Having a correct
  implementation that works the same as every other database is a good
  thing.

  The soundex() function is a bit more unusual.  This algorithm has a
  long history (it was first patented in 1918) that is heavily tied to
  the US Census data.  I suspect that when people first started to
  seriously play around relational systems in the early 1970s, Census
  data, and similar datasets, where one of the few obvious matches.
  It made sense to have the soundex() function available for searches
  and matching, as it had already been in use with those types of
  datasets for 50 years.

  Still, you'll notice that, by default, the soundex() function is
  NOT included in SQLite.  You have to explicitly activate it when
  compiling SQLite.  I think that's a good compromise.  While it is a
  somewhat standard function in many database systems, it is also an
  oddball that most people don't use.  As such, it is there if you
  need it, but the majority of people will never notice it isn't
  there by default.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson