Tom,

Thanks for this.

My main reason for asking is because I am trying to encourage my
students and indeed clients to think "database" rather than
"spreadsheet". Most of the time these aren't big or complex data sets
(normally records in the hundreds, sometimes the thousands) but still
big enough to create major problems for themselves and me, just
because the spreadsheet gives them the freedom to really screw things
up.

While far from perfect, I could live with a single table in a database
that could be queried from R .  But it needs to be user friendly and
run on Linux, Windows and Macs.

And of course, I would like to introduce other aspects of database
design, but a lot of the time the idea of developing an "application",
when there may only ever be one or two users is a bit of an overkill.

So I suppose I have two objectives 1) to convince people that using  a
"simple" database isn't as difficult as they think, so they give them
a go and 2) to  develop enough understanding of databases so they
know they need to hire someone, or develop high level database skills
if they have a project that is working with lots of data.

I should say that these are biology/ecology students, or professional
ecologists, so this isn't a core subject, and no one but me seems
particularly concerned about the use of spreadsheets, even for very
large data sets  (tens of thousands of records).

So, I am currently exploring how I can drive some enthusiasm for
databases, as well as learn more about them myself.

I will have a look at the table of editors and see how I get on.

BTW when I said SQLite Manager, I meant the firefox addin, from your
table I see that SQLiteManager is a different program.

Thanks again,

Graham