With Roger's help I have gotten to the bottom of this issue, and I
wanted to post the resolution to the list in case anyone else bumps
into it.

There is a bug in PHP versions prior to PHP 5.3 that makes it
impossible to reliably create/store BLOB columns. My code ends up
creating TEXT data when run under any version of PHP in the 5.2.x
branch. When run under PHP 5.3.x, BLOB columns are correctly created.

So, the only options are to either use PHP 5.3 or later, or to ditch
PDO and use PHP's native Sqlite3 interface directly.

Thanks.

Sam