On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:31:35PM +0200, Ben Harper scratched on the wall:
> I guess I could actually dump the hash table into a blob.

> I'm also doing something like a bloom filter, and I guess that can just
> as well go into a blob too.. Basically the system is a big cache,
> and it must quickly answer the question "Do you have this item in
> your cache?". The cache is going to receive a lot of queries for
> which the answer is "NO", and I need the determination of that
> answer to be fast.

  Why not just use an off-the-self hash cache, like memcached, or an
  off-the-self hash database, like Redis?  Redis even supports an
  Append-Only write mode (e.g. WAL-ish journal mode).

  If you really want to access it from inside SQLite, use a virtual
  table to wrap a Redis database.  I've been toying with this idea for
  a personal project.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson