...can pragma result sets be accessed in other sql statements?

I wish to use SQLite to perform some data re-formatting, as such, I need
to output the results
in CSV format.  Unfortunately, the ".output" command does not emit the
column names
in the first row.

I was hoping that something like this would work:

.separator ','
.ouput results.csv
select name from pragma table_info(mydata) union select * from mydata;

...but apparently pragmas can't participate in a sql statement.

I don't see anything in sqlite_master that would allow DML access to table's
column names.    So is it really impossible to get column names
into the first row of  the csv file without resorting to writing some
crazy 'C' code?

Thanks,

Chris Wolf