On 7 Dec 2010, at 10:31am, CDN Mark wrote:

> newbie question, what I'd like to do is improve/add columns for a sadly
> lacking database for a commercial proramme.  What I'd like to know is it
> possible to add columns to an existing database without causing problems, add
> extra info into these columns, and then somehow create a viewer of the
> database.. It woud have to only be a straight viewer, no editing features
> needed.

Yes.  For these things you need a programmer.  If you're not one yourself, you
might want to hire one.

If you think that your changes would be useful to some good percentage of
current users of the program, why not contact the company that produces the
program ?  It may be happy to include your changes in the next version of the
program.

> I did add a column, I think successfuly, but it went before the primary key
> column, does this matter?

Does it matter to what ?

It's possible that the application that mainly uses the database will be
terribly confused by this, since one common way to insert new data relies on
there being a specific number of columns in a specific order.  Introducing a
new column without changing the program to match may cause the program to fail
in interesting ways.

Simon.