On 10/12/2010, at 10:17 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:

> Version 3.7.5 will list PRAGMA foreign_key_list as fully supported.  (sigh)

Great news, thank you.

Why the sigh? Do you not see the value in us having introspection into schemas?

Could you please consider taking it further, providing foreign keys via a
select query instead of a pragma? SQLite currently provides limited
introspection, some via select * from SQLite_Master and some via pragmas. Of
the two, select is far more useful, since it can be filtered directly and
joined with other tables.

For instance, if foreign keys could be accessed via select, we could get all
the foreign keys for a given column via one statement:

select * from SQLite_Foreign_Keys where To_Table = 'My Table' and To_Column =
'My Column';

Rather than having to virtually recreate SQL functionality externally in order
to scan through the result of a pragma.

Pragmas seem unnecessarily separated from the SQLite engine, returning a table
of info that can't be manipulated by the SQL engine in which it resides.

Thanks for your consideration,
Tom
BareFeetWare

--