On 12/12/2010, at 1:48 AM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2010, at 2:28pm, BareFeetWare wrote:
>
>> I think there's an SQL standard for introspective queries, isn't there? Is
>> it something like MySQL's "INFORMATION_SCHEMA Tables", as per?:
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/information-schema.html
>
> Section 21 of the (SQL92) standard.
> It's absolutely horrible.
> Let's try to avoid that if we can.
>
> Fortunately SQLite has no user model, so most of it would be pointless anyway.

Yes, I expect that at least half of what MySQL uses wouldn't be relevant to
SQLite. But don't dismiss the concept due to what may be a flawed or wider
implementation.

I suspect part of the SQL standard for introspection (or "metadata") is
relevant and worth using. But even if none is, please still move away from
pragmas to some form of selectable query.

Thanks,
Tom
BareFeetWare

 --