On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Igor Tandetnik <itandet...@mvps.org> wrote:

> On 2/9/2011 1:42 PM, Sam Carleton wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that SQLite is designed to allow multiple clients
> > from the same computer to access the DB file at one time.
>
> Yes. But if one of those clients starts to write, others cannot write or
> read.

This I am aware of, but I was under the impression the on a modern
desktop machine, the overhead in of the write is pretty minimal,
assuming you are not writing very much.

> > The system does far more reading then writing.
>
> But apparently, it still does some writing.

Yep, it does do writing, both programs do.

Ok, the question now is if I should stop the slow walk towards a
client/server DB and start running...  I am working on enhancing the
Qt application quite a bit, doing a lot more DB reading/writing.  Once
I got that done, I was going to convert from SQLite to a client/server
DB.  Do I have my priorities backwards, should I do the DB conversion
first?  The Apache server is services between 3 and 50 active clients
on a local network.

Sam