>        i also took the same statement and tried to run it in our app in a
> method called as soon as the application launches, and it fails.  so we have
> something going on at a different level.

I suspect that "as soon as the application launches" means that no
parallel threads are working yet (if they work already then look into
what those threads are doing). Then the problem could be in some
linking issues. E.g. you have some function that is named the same as
some library function and so you and/or SQLite calls your function
instead of from library. Or maybe some library you link with does
something bad (and maybe in a different thread). Or it could be just
different set of memory allocation calls so that in a different app
hit to incorrect memory address doesn't touch another memory region
which is corrupted in the initial app. Still running with valgrind
could give some insights.

Pavel