The configuration I'm interested in has:

 Database resident on a windows 7 file system
 sqlite binary based on sqlite 3.7.3

 If the host is OSX 10.6, it works.
 If the host is OSX 10.4, it fails.

I swear it used to work in 10.4 too, but lacking a time
machine, it's hard to prove.  I'm certain it worked a year ago with
the then-current version of OSX 10.4 and sqlite 3.6.11

using a debugger, I traced the source of the problem to afpSetLock, which
is called with identical context on both OSX 10.4 and 10.6, but fails
in 10.4.      It seems odd that afpSetLock should be used for this
remotely mounted file system, but it is the same for both the successful
and unsuccessful cases.

I've built a version with SQLITE_ENABLE_LOCKING_STYLE=0, which eliminates
afpSetLock, and in that case it fails in "unixLock" on both operating
systems.

Note also that the same binary and an identical database work fine
if the database is on a local file system.

Is there any change in sqlite locking strategy that can explain this? Or
alternatively, am I just being screwed by some Apple bug.  I'm sure that
Apple has been messing with the remote file system support.