I'm getting a little closer to pointing the finger
at sqlite.  I rebuilt my application using an archived
binary from march 2009, and it works in the cases where
a modern binary fails.

It appears that some change in sqlite locking strategy between
2009 and now is not completely compatible with osx 10.4.11