On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> Anythings possible.  But we've been using Fossil heavily, daily, for 4 years
> now without any hints of these kinds of problems.  So fundamental bugs like
> what you propose seem improbable.  I'm thinking something else is going on.

Is TLS used?  If not, is data sent over HTTP integrity protected in
any way (e.g., with hashes)?  If not, then the tcl script errors are
probably due to on-the-wire corruption.

However, I just checked the tarball for 3.7.6.2 and it also has those
missing whitespaces in Tcl files, like this:

proc do_select_test {name sql result} {
  uplevel [list doPassiveTest 0 $name $sql [list 0 [list {*}$result]]]
}

which I think rules out corruption on the network (I'd almost
certainly not get the same corruption twice, once in a tarball and
once in Fossil clone).

Is that normal?  The missing whitespace between '{*}' and '$result'
causes make test failures.

> Like maybe your text editor is automatically converting space into tabs?

I hadn't edited any of these files, so, no.

> What platform did you say you were running on?  Our 4-years of experience is
> mostly confined to Linux/Mac/Windows.  Are you doing this on Solaris or
> something?  Maybe you have an NFS-mounted home directory?  Something else
> out of the ordinary?

Ubuntu 10.1, in a local directory.  But inside a Virtual Box VM -- but
I've not noticed corruption problems before.  I'm also using wifi (see
comments above about integrity protection.

I did a new "fossil open" of my clone of sqlite3docs and this time I
got a copy of Makefile checked out.  In my previous workspace I
removed the Makefile, did a fossil commit --latest --force, and now
everything looks good.  I don't know what caused the problem I had
with the Makefile -- let's blame it on user error until it happens
again.

Nico