On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:00:40 -0400, Richard Hipp wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Patrick Earl <pate...@patearl.net> wrote:
> > SELECT this_.studentId as studentId143_0_,
> >     this_.Name as Name143_0_,
> >     this_.address_city as address3_143_0_,
> >     this_.address_state as address4_143_0_,
> >     this_.preferredCourseCode as preferre5_143_0_
> > FROM Student this_
> > WHERE this_.Name = (
> >     SELECT this_0_.Name as y0_
> >     FROM Student this_0_
> >     WHERE this_0_.studentId = @p0
> >     ORDER BY this_0_.Name
> >     asc limit @p1)
> [...]
>
> The LIMIT in a scalar subquery is always ignored.  A scalar subquery
> operates with a LIMIT of 1 regardless of any LIMIT that you might specify.

It's quite obvious that any other limit in a scalar subquery does not make
sense, not only in SQLite, but in any SQL database, since only one value will
ever be used. Which leads me to wonder what causes it to be generated (you
don't want to tell me the weird names are invented manually, right?) and
whether
 - it should have not generated the limit, or
 - it should have used "in" instead of "=" (thus making it list query which
   can meaningfuly have limit).

--
                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <b...@ucw.cz>