On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
> I've rethought my earlier position.  This re-think is the result of the SQL
> standard being incompatible with the IEEE standard.  If you want to do IEEE
> arithmetic, do it in your own software, and use SQL just for retrieving the
> numbers you're going to handle.  You can store those numbers as numbers, text
> or BLOBs, whatever works for your purposes.

You might as well rip out the numeric aggregation functions then...
Why have them if they're not safe to use?

> If SQLite is to be changed at all, it should be changed to conform to the SQL
> standard, including treating division by zero as an error.  I regard this
> change as one worth putting on the bug list, but not one which needs
> immediate attention.

It seems other RDBMSes do not so much conform to the standard though
as to they implement semantics that could be standardized.  The
relevant standard is behind the times then, no?  Why implement that
instead of interoperable semantics?  To me this really requires more
research, specifically to establish what is the most common subset of
numeric/real semantics in major RDBMSes (there's precendent for this,
as the SQLite3 page on NULL handling demonstrates).

Nico