We have an application that does not scale well – especially 8 and 16
threads we are getting about 10% at best to -50% at worst (2 and 4 are okay
aprox. 40-50%).

We have narrowed the problem down to the SQLite code.

Looking for best practices from anyone that overcame scaling issues.

First we generate 35 different SQLite databases, this is done in a separate
program and performance is not an issue.

The application is a  C++ app. that accesses all the databases in a read
only style.  Size of database range from 1MB to 10GB.

Each thread does the following in a loop

1. Grab a record from an external system (not SQLite)

2. Runs several SQLite queries to process the record

We are currently using 3.6.14 (has this been improved in new versions?)

Is there any compile time options or pragma's that are specifically
engineered at optimizing for read only and/or scaling?

Thank you in advance,

Drew