On 15 Sep 2011, at 12:28am, Jim Michaels wrote:

> with an existing record, and a fieldname that is in a column that has a
> UNIQUE INDEX, if I do sqlite_exec("UPDATE database SET
> fieldname="&sqlite_escape("get calculator batteries")&" WHERE
> fieldname=sqlite_escape("get hp50g calc cells")&";"
> this code actually deletes the record.  it should not.

An understatement worthy of an Englishman.

What API are you using ?  The function 'sqlite_escape' is not part of SQLite.

SQLite uses single quotes for quoting strings, but I'm not sure you're actually
quoting strings in the above.

Can you retype your command again ?  You can't have got it right because the
brackets don't match.

Also, can you test the command using the sqlite3 shell tool, show us exactly
what you type and tell us what the result is ?

Simon.