On 22 Sep 2011, at 5:30pm, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

>  Indexes are updated automatically.

As they are with all implementations of SQL.  That's why you didn't see it
documented: nobody thought there was any question.

> Note: this means indexes will
>  speed up queries, but incur a performance penalty for
>  insert/update/delete operations.

... but not much.  I mean, don't expect a single INSERT to take a tenth of a
second unless you have a hundred indexes or something.

>  Stats (see ANALYZE) are *not* updated automatically, so if you are
>  using those and your table stats are somewhat dynamic, you may need
>  to re-run ANALYZE.

... but again, not much.  But your searches can be pretty fast even if you
never use ANALYZE on the database.  And the statistics ANALYZE produces are
meant to be a pointer to the nature of your data so unless the type of data
you're putting in the database has changed radically there's really not much
point in running ANALYZE again.

Simon.