I had been trying to learn proper use of the coalesce function via
experimenting.  After many tries I found that the coalesce function only was
working for me with one set of brackets, I think I must have been causing a
conflict due to the context of the function.  If I introduced more than one
set of brackets it gave me a syntax error.  Even the online information
concerning sqlite is very sparse when it comes to explaining the syntax of
this function and variations and conditions of it's use. Most must assume a
level of knowledge that I can't glean from the resources published on the
web.  The flow charts that are listed on sqlite.org for things like select
etc are great and make understanding very easy, however there isn't any such
thing that I could find showing context for the use of the coalesce function
and many other similar functions.  Are there any publications out there that
would help a beginner such as myself to understand context and syntax of
functions better?

I tried to search the archives, but it is having trouble with the search
engine... so no luck there.

Your recommendation seems to have been if I wanted to extract the top three
pieces of data in that format as per the original question. Seeing I had the
top three data already in three different columns and realising that the
function seemed to only work with one set of brackets, I came up with this
solution.

         select english1, english2, english3,

         coalesce ('( '||english1||', '|| english2||', '||english3 ||' )',
                       '( '||english1||', '||english2||' )',
                       '( '||english1||' )')

         as english

         from UniqueAramaic4

This did the trick in a very simple manner.