On Feb 6, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Bill McCormick wrote:

> Is there no way to force columns added to a table with alter table to be
> added at certain column positions?
>
> Alternatively, if there is some way to save the data in an existing table;
> drop the table; re-create the table with the desired schema; and then reload
> the data, this would be useful as well. However, I cannot see how to do this
> simply.

just do it exactly as you state above...

dump
drop
recreate
reload

script it and it couldn't be any simpler. Although, ordinarily neither you nor
the db should care about the order of the column. The results come out in the
order you specify.

CREATE TABLE t (a, b, c);
SELECT b, c, a FROM t WHERE...

--