Nico Williams wrote, On 2/6/2012 12:44 PM:
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Bill McCormick<wpmccorm...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Is there no way to force columns added to a table with alter table to be
added at certain column positions?

Alternatively, if there is some way to save the data in an existing table;
drop the table; re-create the table with the desired schema; and then reload
the data, this would be useful as well. However, I cannot see how to do this
simply.
If order of columns is only important for aesthetic reasons you might
just use a ALTER TABLE to add the column at the end of the list and
then a VIEW to provide the view you prefer.

The order is not important. What is important is that I come up with some way to manage version updates. I've tried doing something similar in the past using an "alter tables" script (using a different DB). The script assumed some base version of schema was present, and then proceeded adding new schema if it didn't already exist. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time (to whomever started it), but as time went on this script grew more and more unmanageable and I dreaded having to use it.

Thanks!!