I tried the SQLite in-memory DB feature - but when it exceeded about 2GB -
I got the "out of memory" message.

In my particular scenario - while the raw data being attached and read is
hundreds of GB - the result sets are only a few GB.

A 64-bit version of SQLite that could handle an in-memory DB of 5-10 GB
would be quite useful and interesting to test. Unfortunately I am not
versed enough in compiling my own version - so hopefully this would be
offered one of these days.

Whether a RAM-only version would truly run subtantially faster than an
SSD-based DB - remains to be seen - but the <2GB experiments seem to show
that in-memory is quite promising.