On Apr 17, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> I urge again the different approach I mentioned earlier.  Forget keeping the
> data, and instead keep the commands used to change the data.  That way,
> instead of keeping the /results/ of your SQL commands, you're keeping the
> commands yourself, which is rawer (more raw ?) data, and therefore more
> faithful to what you know, rather than what you're trying to deduce.

Perhaps.

But, in practice, how would one use such DML logs? Say someone got a small
million rows, with over a period of time where subjected to 10x that many DMLs
(update, insert, delete). How would one now practically use these DML logs to
query data at two different point in times? Replay all the logs from the
beginning each and every time?