On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Baruch Burstein <bmburst...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am curious about the usefulness of sqlite's "unique" type handling,

SQLite is not unique in this respect.  Lots of other languages use
flexible, dynamic typing:  Javascript, Perl, Python, Tcl, AWK come quickly
to mind.  SQLite began as a TCL extension, so it should not be surprising
that it follows Tcl's dynamic typing model.

> and
> so would like to know if anyone has ever actually found any practical use
> for it/used it in some project? I am referring to the typeless handling,
> e.g. storing strings in integer columns etc., not to the non-truncating
> system e.g. storing any size number or any length string (which is
> obviously very useful in many cases).
> Has anyone ever actually taken advantage of this feature? In what case?

Fossil uses dynamic typing, especially in the general-purpose CONFIG table
where the VALUE field holds strings, integers, and BLOBs, depending on
context.

> --
> ˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org