My thoughts follow:

Be lenient in what you accept; be stringent in what you produce.

I believe SQLite follows this principle.

Frank.

Richard Hipp wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Baruch Burstein <bmburst...@gmail.com>wrote:

I am curious about the usefulness of sqlite's "unique" type handling,

SQLite is not unique in this respect.  Lots of other languages use
flexible, dynamic typing:  Javascript, Perl, Python, Tcl, AWK come quickly
to mind.  SQLite began as a TCL extension, so it should not be surprising
that it follows Tcl's dynamic typing model.

and
so would like to know if anyone has ever actually found any practical use
for it/used it in some project? I am referring to the typeless handling,
e.g. storing strings in integer columns etc., not to the non-truncating
system e.g. storing any size number or any length string (which is
obviously very useful in many cases).
Has anyone ever actually taken advantage of this feature? In what case?

Fossil uses dynamic typing, especially in the general-purpose CONFIG table
where the VALUE field holds strings, integers, and BLOBs, depending on
context.

--
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı