Joe,

I'm afraid this doesn't seem to fix the issue.
Just out of interest are you able to run the code I sent on a real device or in
an emulator? I'm testing on a Motorola ES400 and didn't initially think to try
switching to the emulator which doesn't seem to throw the error (still testing
though.)
Don't know if it's relevant but I seem to 'fix' the issue if I call a
GC.Collect before every connection to the database.  But of course this could
just be because it runs slower when doing this and in any case probably not
good practice.
Will continue to test.