Keith Medcalf wrote:
> Note that according to the Microsoft documentation opportunistic
> locking is only used when overlapped I/O is enabled.

That applies only to oplocks that are requested manually by
an application through FSCTL_ control codes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365438(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows can also request oplocks automatically, and this happens for
both synchronous and asynchronous I/O.  (Internally, even synchronous
operations are implemented using overlapped I/O:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2012/10/12/10358935.aspx>.)

On OSes before Vista/Server 2008, oplocks were incompatible with byte
range locks (which SQLite uses), but this is unlikely to happen
nowadays.

Regards,
Clemens