On 30 Oct 2012, at 10:22pm, Vladislav Bolkhovitin <v...@vlnb.net> wrote:

> I fully understand your position. But "affordable" and "useful" are
> completely orthogonal things. The "high end" features are very useful, if you
> want to get high performance. Then ones, who can afford them, will use them,
> which might be your favorite bank, for instance, hence they will be
> indirectly working for you.
>
> Of course, you don't have to work on those features, especially for free, but
> you similarly don't have then to call them useless only because they are not
> affordable to be put in a desktop [1].

The problem is, I think, that no bank should be using SQLite for customer
records.  At its lowest basic level it is unsuited to high-end, multi-user,
live-duplication work (for instance, all locking is carried out by locking the
entire database !), and adding some features wanted by high-level users aren't
going to change that.  For those users you need a DBMS which provides a
network-access server/client model.  This is clearly laid out in

<http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html>

Think of SQLite as the thing a mobile phone uses to show its messages in
chronological order, and the thing a TV recorder uses to maintain its list of
recorded programmes.  Both of which are literally true in my case.  It is not
suited to a huge institution-level data repository.  The fact that some people
use it for multi-user live access anyway is merely a sign that its excellent
design and testing regime let it stand up to use far beyond original intent.

Simon.