On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Vladislav Bolkhovitin <v...@vlnb.net> wrote:

> Theodore Ts'o, on 10/25/2012 01:14 AM wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 03:53:11PM -0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, SCSI has full support for ordered/simple commands designed
>>> exactly for that task: to have steady flow of commands even in case
>>> when some of them are ordered.....
>>>

>> SCSI does, yes --- *if* the device actually implements Tagged Command
>> Queuing (TCQ).  Not all devices do.
>>
>> More importantly, SATA drives do *not* have this capability, and when
>> you compare the price of SATA drives to uber-expensive "enterprise
>> drives", it's not surprising that most people don't actually use
>> SCSI/SAS drives that have implemented TCQ.
>>

> What different in our positions is that you are considering storage as
> something you can connect to your desktop, while in my view storage is
> something, which stores data and serves them the best possible way with the
> best performance.
>
> Hence, for you the least common denominator of all storage features is the
> most important, while for me to get the best of what possible from storage
> is the most important.
>
> In my view storage should offload from the host system as much as
> possible: data movements, ordered operations requirements, atomic
> operations, deduplication, snapshots, reliability measures (eg RAIDs), load
> balancing, etc.
>
> It's the same as with 2D/3D video acceleration hardware. If you want the
> best performance from your system, you should offload from it as much as
> possible. In case of video - to the video hardware, in case of storage - to
> the storage. The same as with video, for storage better offload - better
> performance. On hundreds of thousands IOPS it's clearly visible.
>
> Price doesn't matter here, because it's completely different topic.
>

>  SATA's Native Command
>> Queuing (NCQ) is not equivalent; this allows the drive to reorder
>> requests (in particular read requests) so they can be serviced more
>> efficiently, but it does *not* allow the OS to specify a partial,
>> relative ordering of requests.
>>

> And so? If SATA can't do it, does it mean that nobody else can't do it
> too? I know a plenty of non-SATA devices, which can do the ordering
> requirements you need.

I would be very much interested in what kind of device support this kind of
"topological order", and in what settings they are typically used.

Does modern flash/SSD (esp. which are used on smartphones) support this?

If you could point me to some information about this, that would be very
much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Suli