On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Levi Haskell (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN) <
lhask...@bloomberg.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> referential
> enforcement
> >>>

> >> This seems like a reasonable request.  And while we are at it, we will
> >> likely also verify UNIQUE and CHECK constraints too.
>
> Thank you!
>

> >By the way, verifying foreign key constraints is trickier than it seems at
> >first glance, because you have to make sure to get it right for cases
> >involving NULLs and differing collating sequences and affinities between
> >parent and child tables.
>
> Intresting, doesn't sqlite3FkCheck() already take these into account?

Yes, it does.  But not every home-brew solution to this problem does.
That's why we really ought to handle this inside of PRAGMA integrity_check,
rather than tossing the problem over the wall to applications developers,
as is done now.  The whole point of SQLite is to free up app developers to
focus on their application logic by simplifying the storage and persistence
problem.  Checking foreign key constraints really ought to be part of what
SQLite does automatically.

> Just curious.
>  - Levi

D. Richard Hipp