Can you get rid of the SSD portion, and see if you can emulate this on
another type of drive listed below and see if you get the same results?

USB Key - Slowest
Platter - Slower
RAM Drive - Faster
RAM - Fastest

(RamDrive is marked as faster as there's still going to be latency
converting from a file system to something usable, whereas putting the DB
in memory directly removes that abstraction layer.)

Is the application multi-threaded, or, single thread?

How many connections to the database is there?  You mention exclusive lock,
so I'd assume just one connection.

In order to copy to RAM directly, you can use the SQLite backup methods to
copy to a :memory: database.  BACKUP THE ORIGINAL with a standard copy just
to make sure you're copying the database the right direction.  (*hugs his
version control software*)