It is more than that.

I tried removing your suggestion, then removed AUTOINCREMENT. Then it
complained about the INDEX clause.
I'm working on a program to rearrange things like moving the Primary key
declaration to the field constraint clause, moving the index declarations to
index creation statements (or just removing it if field is declared a Primary
key) after the table creation statement.

I haven't dealt with indexes in SQLite in the past, so a couple of follow up
questions:
To index a column (a non primary key), I assume I have to create another column
using the Create index with a new column name.
When a query is made to the table do I need to reference the index column name
or can I reference the original column and still invoke the index?
 In MySQL it seems that I can simple declare a column as an index and and use
that column's name in querys.  No need to worry about an additional column name.

Vance