On 7 Mar 2013, at 5:51pm, ven...@intouchmi.com wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Thanks for the detailed response!

You're welcome.

> Can I say:
> Create INDEX c on myTable(c);

Well, technically yes you can.  But to keep your code clear I would not have an
index name the same as a column name.  For instance, if you start trusting
index names like that you're going to be very confused if you accidentally do

Create INDEX c on myTable(b)

Your index names can be anything you like, but SQL itself never looks at the
name of the index, just which table and columns it indexes.  The only time SQL
cares about the name of the index is if you later issue a 'DROP INDEX' command
and have to get the name right so it knows which index to drop !  So I
deliberately pick names for indexes that I'd never pick for a column.

Simon.