On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM, <ven...@intouchmi.com> wrote:

> Simon and everyone who has thrown ideas into the mix,
> I very much appreciate the effort that you folks have put into this!
> If nothing else, I am learning from this exorcise.

At this point, sounds like the only way to possibly make forward progress
on this would be to post your DB somewhere, for hands-on testing by anyone.
The fact you haven't done so suggests you cannot do that, but perhaps if
you could somehow "anonymize" the data, like dropping all selected columns
that do not participate in the where and join clauses, and dropping
irrelevant tables, then maybe you could share something where the query
continues to be slower than MS Access, that someone could explain or
improve on somehow. Just my $0.02. --DD

PS: I would also allow to load that same data into another RDBMS and see
how it performs there too.