On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Philip Bennefall <phi...@blastbay.com> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Petite Abeille"
> On Jun 5, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Philip Bennefall <phi...@blastbay.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I have seen the backup API. But I would like to avoid the disk file
>> entirely and just serialize to and from memory.
> Lateral thinking… write your db to tmpfs…
>
> Doesn't that still create a file, just a temporary one?

Yes. It is a RAM disk fs however AFAIK, i.e. in memory, thus matching
the constraints given so far.

> I need the
> serialized content in a char* or similar so I can memcpy it etc, and then

Ok, that is not something even tmpfs provides.

> feed it back to SqLite at a later time. I guess I could make a toy vfs that
> uses a malloc:ed chunk that pretends to be the disk drive, and backup
> to/from that to a regular in-memory database. Thoughts?

That might be workable. Take me with a heap of salt here, as I have
not done anything with sqlite's vfs API whatsoever so far.

--
Andreas Kupries
Senior Tcl Developer

Tcl'2013, Sep 23-27, New Orleans, LA, USA @ http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2013/