On 6 Jun 2013, at 9:01am, Philip Bennefall <phi...@blastbay.com> wrote:

> Since I don't believe that Windows for example has tmpfs (seems to be a Unix
> thing), would the idea of constructing a vfs that just reads and writes a
> huge memory block be doable?

Doable ?  Yes.  Use the code from one of the file-based VFSes and replace all
the 'read/write to file offset N" with 'read/write to memory offset N', then
sort out locking and a few other problems.  Tedious and annoying to do but
doable if you write C.

Of advantage to many users ?  I don't know.  I don't see what the advantage of
doing this is over SQLite's standard ways of storing data in memory or in a
file.  Who would use this ?

Also, I have a question.  How big do you expect to make that block of memory
you grab when someone creates a new database ?  One of the advantages of SQL
databases is that they grow as you get more data.  You can't do this if you're
going to pre-grab a continuous block of memory.  Do you expect to use the C
function realloc() a lot ?

Simon.