I have a table in the main database called 'students' and a two page block of
sql that processes it, referring to it as simply 'students'.

Experimenting with a different approach, I created a temp table, also called
'students' that contained a subset of the main.students. (I intended to
modify the sql, replacing 'students' with 'temp.students' but have not yet
done so)

However, running my original sql now, before editing it, it appears to be
using both the table 'students' and the table temp.students as it is now
repeating some rows.

Can sombody please explain what might be happening?
If no database prefix is given, doesn't SQLite default to the 'main'
database or does it somehow use a combination of all the tables with the
same name regardless of database?